Can you make the first page print from a different tray?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Aug 10 02:10:59 PDT 2006

Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen at research.uq.edu.au> wrote (Thursday 10 August 2006 09:06):

> I printed an MSWord document (all trays set to default/auto) through Samba.

Ah! Now that's a different kettle of fish...

Not sure if it works via CUPS' "AP_FIRSTPAGE_InputSlot-default"-trick
this way, have never tested this here. But I think* it should --
provided you've set up your CUPS and Samba (f.e. don't use the "raw"
print option) in a way that supports this, and that you're using the
correct PPD on Windows (used "cupsaddsmb" and "point'n'print" to
install the Windows printer drivers?)....

However...

Printing from Windows/Word does already support selecting a different
first page paper tray. For *any* printer, *any* driver (where printer
has more than one tray). CUPS or not CUPS.

The hidden secret is to not look for the option in the printing dialog
itself. You have to use the "Page Setup" (or is it "Page Properties"?
-- I'm translating this from German) dialog of the *document*.

Do it like this:

 + open menu "File".
 + pick entry "Page Properties".
 + a dialog opens; locate the "Format" tab.
 + set "First Page" paper supply different from "Other Pages" supply.
 + done.

Cheers,
Kurt