meaning of printer-is-shared attribute?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Aug 10 08:12:15 PDT 2006

dkastens.uos wrote:
> Hi,

> it's not quite clear to me what the attribute printer-is-shared
> means.

If true, the printer is shared.  If false, the printer is not
shared.

> I installed a cups-1.2.2 server and a client on different machines
> and played around with cups browsing. It doesn't matter if a printer
> in printers.conf has the directive "Shared Yes" or "Shared No". The
> printer is always visible on the client machine.

Are you pointing the client at the server using the client.conf
file?  If so, you are bypassing the normal sharing mechanism and
will be unable to print to printers that are not shared even though
they appear in the list of printers.

> My goal is to hide the printers that are shared through samba from
> all linux clients.

You can't do that - non-shared printers are not available to Samba
(cupsd will reject any incoming jobs because they come from a
remote system)

> If I have two printers on my cups server,
> "samba_p1" and "linux_p1" for example, "samba_p1" should only be
> visible to the samba server but NOT to the linux clients. On the
> other side, "linux_p1" should not be shared by the samba server
> (that's simple) but it should be available to all linux clients
> through browsing. I don't want to add the printer manually on all
> clients. And I don't want to set up two separate cups servers for
> linux and samba.

That's what you'll need to do.

> Is this possible? Is this the goal of using the printer-is-shared
> attribute?

You can't do what you what to do right now.  We do have an open
feature request (very unlikely to show up in 1.3) to support network-
specific sharing that might be extended to support transport-specific
sharing, but we aren't even in the planning stages for that feature...