cups newbie

Ionel Mugurel Ciobica tgakic at chem.tue.nl
Thu Aug 10 16:05:47 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a printer and  http://localhost:631 give a page from where if I choose anything the browser just hangs with the message "Waiting for localhost...".

I have try the hard way, without the webadmin interface, but without any luck. Anything I do ends up with errors. For example thinks like "lpadmin -p printer -E -v device -m ppd" give:

lpadmin: add-printer (enable) failed: client-error-forbidden

or a simple "lpinfo -v" give:

lpinfo: cups-get-devices failed: client-error-forbidden

I changed the "LogLevel debug" and I found this in the logs:

PID 2241 stopped with status 13!
SendError: 7 code=403 (Forbidden)

I try to follow some tutorials, howto's and faq's from cups but I can't figure it out... Anyone know why I can't get the http://localhost:631/admin/ to work or what is this client-error-forbidden error and how do I solve it?

Thank you for your help.

Ionel

P.S. I run debian sarge and all install is standard (via apt-get), no custom packages.