Can you make the first page print from a different tray?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at research.uq.edu.au
Thu Aug 10 23:35:00 PDT 2006

> Not sure if it works via CUPS' "AP_FIRSTPAGE_InputSlot-default"-trick
> this way, have never tested this here. But I think* it should --
> provided you've set up your CUPS and Samba (f.e. don't use the "raw"
> print option) in a way that supports this, and that you're using the
> correct PPD on Windows (used "cupsaddsmb" and "point'n'print" to
> install the Windows printer drivers?)....

I did use cupsaddsmb to set up the drivers, and the correct (CUPS-altered) PPD files are copied across to the Windows machines.  So hopefully that's all good.

> Printing from Windows/Word does already support selecting a different
> first page paper tray. For *any* printer, *any* driver (where printer
> has more than one tray). CUPS or not CUPS.

Yes, sorry, I'm not printing from Word normally, I was just using that to test the change.  The final print jobs will be generated by Crystal Reports, and the client for that is so limited that it won't even let you select a different printer (you can only print to your default printer.)

> The hidden secret is to not look for the option in the printing dialog
> itself. You have to use the "Page Setup"

I made sure both the first page and the rest of the document was set to "Default Tray" here, which then makes Word pull the tray settings from the print options window (so the whole document should be on the same page.)  Alas it all came out of the same tray, as if the CUPS option had no effect.

I still suspect the problem is because the PostScript code is being generated by the Windows PS driver, and CUPS isn't altering it before sending it to the printer.

Of course printing via lp had the same effect, but this wasn't turned into PostScript at all (the printer just printed the plaintext in the standard Courier font.)  Is CUPS normally meant to convert plain text printjobs into PostScript?

Cheers,
Adam.