Raster Image Processor Server Setup

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Aug 11 05:43:42 PDT 2006

Phil Krochmal wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I know this is possible and have been looked at funny on #linux and #macintosh on DALnet and other areas. I am seeking some help in setting up my network with a MAC OS X Server that will be the main printer queues host. This is an effort to supplant the Windblows 2k3 server. The problem I wish to rectify is that regarding the setup of a Raster Image Processor (RIP) Server.
>
> A RIP server, for those with a blank look on their face, is used to pre-process a print job for a printer. Usually, you find this handy for large print formats like plotters with 24"-42" roll sizes and bigger. The plotters of today come with a built-in RIP units, but it takes longer due to slow processing speeds. However, a quad processor MAC OS X 10.4.6 G5 server can do the job in a faction of that time. Hence the search for a way to set one up.
>
> Anywho, I know cups can do this as a Solaris box with CUPS is used to at your local Kinkos. My problem is how to setup my MAC OS X box so that jobs sent from a windows or mac will both be processed. Currently, a windows sent print will go straight through as CUPS does not like to handle RAW windows print file type. So, is one part of the problem. However, how do I config the CUPS system to handle this. Seeing as there is lacking knowledge in this area. Any and all help would be handy.
>

> Thanks in Advanced,
> Phil Krochmal

My answr may not seem an immediate help, but are there real hard preconditions
for you to select a MacOS X box as a print and RIP server?

As for my (or, if you like our, in our firm) experience, it is much easier
to set up sort of not (or not completely) standard configuration on a Linux
machine (the next best choice being probably Solaris, but that is a matter of taste).

There are several reasons for my complaints against MacOS X:
First, we have not yet managed to get those boxes to work with DNS (though
I suspect the server edition will work; our experience is currently restricted
to the workstateion edition).

Second, the Apple developers chose to deviate substantially from what has
been established as (more or less) de facto conventions on how to structure
directory trees, name applications that provide services, and so on; so
to get aquainted with that system shows quite a steep learning curve.

Third, the CUPS configuration that is (are) distributed with MacOS X is
different from the source code distribution provided by easysoft, and it seems
you'd have to hack the original somehow to get it compiled on MacOS X.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung