cups-1.1.22 + Perle IOLAN+ 104 serial server + Zebra 140xIII printing problems

Andrew M. Campbell Andrew_Campbell at Alltel.net
Fri Aug 11 13:10:43 PDT 2006

We recently replaced a UNIX system with Red Hat Enterprise 4.  The new Red Hat system is using cups version 1.1.22.  For several years now, we have had a Perle IOLAN+ 104 four port serial server connected to a Zebra 140xIII printer.  Both the previous UNIX system and the current Red Hat system use the LPD service on the IOLAN+ 104  to print.  Since replacing the UNIX system, we have experienced the following two issues.

additional background)  In order to stop print queues from being disabled, I installed linuxprinting.org's backend error handler(beh).  I realize that this is not part of cups and is not supported.  However, the issues below occured both with and without the beh script involved.

1)  When a job dies due to the printer being off or having an error.  Sometimes cups isn't able to reestablish communication with the IOLAN print server.  This does not happen all the time.  It also happened both before and after loading the beh script.  To remedy the problem, I had to reset the terminal server.

2)  The IOLAN print server is connected to a Zebra 140xIII printer.  When a printjob is nearing completion.  The printer slows down its printing.  Meaning that while labels normally print at a steady pace, near the end of a printjob printings slows down.  We never experienced this before switching to cups.

I'm thinking issue number one might have something to do with the timeout setting in cupsd.conf.  Currently this is set to the default of 300 seconds.  Issue number has only occured three times.  So I don't have a lot to go on.  Issue number two is consistent.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.  If something doesn't make sense or I've omitted vital information, please let me know.

Thanks,