CUPS Not printingPrinter not connected; will retry in 30 seconds...

pug306d pug306d at yah-1-1-spam-oo.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 13:32:11 PDT 2006

"angelb" <angelb at bugarin.us> wrote in message
news:26323-cups.general at news.easysw.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have cups running but am unable to print.  I used to have version
>> 1.1.23 installed which worked fine but have upgraded to ver 1.2.2 and now
>> the printer just shows as not connected.
>>
>> cat testfile.prn > /dev/lp0 prints fine so the printer is connected ok
>> just not detected in cups.
>>

> Examine your cupsd.conf file. It has changed dramatically from 1.1 and
> it's likely to be where your problem is. If not configured right, you
> can't print.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Thanks,
> Angel

I have just tried the sample config file from the source package of 1.2.2 on
cups.org with the same result.

Not sure what else I can try, I know the printer works from sending # cat
testpage.prn > /dev/lp0 so it must be something to do with CUPS and the
previous version worked ok.

#
# "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 5454 2006-04-23 21:46:38Z mike $"
#
#   Sample configuration file for the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS)
#   scheduler.  See "man cupsd.conf" for a complete description of this
#   file.
#

# Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
# troubleshooting...
LogLevel info

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup printusers

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
#Listen localhost:631
Port 631

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow From 192.168.100.0/24
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  AuthType Basic
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
 Allow From 192.168.100.0/24
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Basic
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow From 192.168.100.0/24
</Location>

# Set the default printer/job policies...
<Policy default>
  # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an adminstrator...
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs
Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  # All administration operations require an adminstrator to authenticate...
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes Enable-Printer
Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs
Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer
Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After
CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class
CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  # Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a job...
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>

#
# End of "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 5454 2006-04-23 21:46:38Z mike $".
#