[cups.general] Possible problems with /var/cache/cups/ppds.datsee https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/foomatic-db-engine/+bug/55685

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Aug 11 16:12:40 PDT 2006

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> To make it accessible more easily, I put the link into the mail body, as
> in the end of the subject most mail clients cut it off.
>
> Here is the link which Walter is talking about:
>
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/foomatic-db-engine/+bug/55685

WRT to the ppds.dat file, if you ever had a pre-1.2 version of CUPS
installed, the ppds.dat format *did* change.  It might be worthwhile
to delete this file when a package is deleted or upgraded in case
cups-driverd doesn't detect the format change...

Anyways, deleting the cache file will force a full re-scan of the
PPDs...

As for the comments about caching the PPD list in the web interface,
that is simply not possible using standard HTML forms.  Given that
we have a had requirement to support text browsers that don't
support script languages, we can't use "AJAX" or any other client-
side tricks.