[cups.general] Character set encoding names

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Wed Aug 16 15:23:50 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 14:51 -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Tim Waugh wrote:
> > 1. Are filters expected to be able to use $CHARSET as an encoding name
> > suitable to passing to iconv_open(), and if not how are they meant to
> > interpret them?
>
> CHARSET will be the ISO-registered name for the character set,
> which rarely is the same as the locale's charset name.  To make
> matters worse, some character sets are known by multiple names.

Can't we use the IANA names, so that the filters can use iconv_open()?

> > 2. Should CUPS ship a windows-932 charset file, or is it a bug that
> > texttops looks for one?
>
> texttops currently does not support double-byte or variable-byte
> text encodings other than UTF-8, thus there is no file for windows-932
> aka Shift JIS aka WINDOWS-31J.

I'm happy to use our own filter (based on paps) -- the trouble is that
I'll need to make a look-up table to work out what charset name to give
to iconv_open() based on $CHARSET. :-(

The same will be true of any 3rd party text/plain filter, of course.
Wouldn't it make more sense for CUPS to give the real suitable-for-iconv
charset name to the filters?  Even in a separate environment variable,
if you like?

Tim.
*/