cups-lpd and cupsaddsmb problems

Michael De Vlaminck michael.devlaminck at cs.kuleuven.be
Thu Aug 17 03:14:28 PDT 2006

I found a solution to these problems. Namely, I had to upgrade
cupsys-bsd and cupsys-client to 1.2.
After I did that the problems with cupsaddsmb and cups-lpd were over
except I found a new problem with cups-lpd.
Our Solaris machines print to the cups server using lp. Thus the
cups-lpd deamon takes care of that.
Now the problem is that there is no job-originating-hostname in the
control file in /var/spool/cups for any job printed from solaris and
that the job itself isn't printed. Instead I get some kind of bannerpage
from cups with Job ID, title, requesting user and billing info on it.
I have never enabled such bannerpages in cups and I find it very strange
that this is happening only when printing from solaris. The printjobs
from debian and samba come out perfectly.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Michael De Vlaminck