Sluggsh printer response --- is the problem CUPS or Microsoft?

gcr quaternion at comcast.net
Thu Aug 17 07:57:48 PDT 2006

My home network consists of a LINUX machine with Fedora Core 5, and a WINDOWS XP machine.  A printer is attached to the printer port of the LINUX machine, and the CUPS server is also resident on that machine. The WINDOWS XP machine prints off the LINUX machine as a CUPS client. I'm able to print from either machine, but something a little annoying sometimes happens whenever I print from the WINDOWS XP machine: if I print any document from a Microsoft program (i.e., WordPad, NotePad, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, etc.) there's about a three second delay between the time I press the print item in the File menu of the document, and the time the print menu actually appears.  No such delay occurs whenever I print from a non-Microsoft document (i.e, Firefox.) Is there some problem with the way Microsoft software interfaces with the CUPS server? BTW, the initial delay is the only problem when printing Microsft documents --- there's no further delay during the printing process, and the print quality is OK.