Network printing - 5 character raw sequence

Friðrik Már Jónsson fridrikm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 09:14:21 PDT 2006

Hi there,

I want to open a cash drawer remotely. The cash drawer is commanded by an EPSON receipt printer.

I need to connect to the cash drawer which is connected over a network (and shared) and simply send a sequence of five ASCII commands (see http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/popopen2.htm) to a printer, for the cash drawer to open.

This is the sequence as indicated by the drawer opening website: 27,112,48,55,121

The printer computer uses a Windows system, and it's shared as: \\KASSI1\Skuffa where KASSI1 is the computer name on the network and Skuffa is the printer name.

Please tell me if you need any more information to help me on this. I've tried the "lpr" command but it seems I didn't get it to work somehow, probably because of an error in my syntax. I haven't found any examples of UNIX-to-Windows raw network printing, and I really hope some of you CUPS wizards have some suggestions for me.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Friðrik