Testing the backchannel with the socket backend

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Aug 17 11:31:49 PDT 2006

John A. Murdie wrote:
>> No, that bug isn't affecting you.
>>
>> Without knowing what printer you are using, I can't say for sure why
>> you aren't seeing the back-channel data.  Some printers don't support
>> bi-di on port 9100 - our Xerox printers don't, for example...
>>
>> --
>> Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
>> Internet Printing and Document Software          http://www.easysw.com
>
> Thanks, Mike - it's an HP LaserJet 8150dtn. Our old print system backend reports the output of the program on the backchannel from port 9100, so I expected socket(8) to do the same. I'll tinker a bit more to see what might be wrong, but would be glad of suggestions based on your experience.

Well, if you can telnet to port 9100 and get a response from the
printer (should be likely, as I can do it with all our HP printers)
and do not see any back-channel data from the socket backend, then
there is probably a bug there... :)

I'll see if I can add back-channel testing to the betest program...