"Toner/Ink Saver" implementation?

gary carroll garycarroll at charter.net
Fri Aug 18 09:41:43 PDT 2006

I can't seem to detect any change in text documents sent to a PostScript
printer using the brightness=200. Does setting "brightness" lighter
affect text as well as graphics? Would it work when printed to a PCL
printer (where presumably the text is ripped to bitmap)?
What I would like to do is compress the range of grays so that maximum
black is some value less than fully saturated and play with the value to
get optimum readability vs. tone savings, with the documents consisting
largely of text.

One possiblity is to develop alternate fonts and do substitutions is GS,
but if there is a neat way to do this with a setting (or by RIPing to
tif then printing that) I'd rather do it that way.