CUPS Remote Root Login Refused

John Bertelsen jo.bertel at verizon.net
Sun Aug 20 11:07:37 PDT 2006

>From remote PC on the LAN it is possible to access CUPS web management interface. When trying to perform administrative functions am prompted for a username and password, but get the message: "Unauthorized
Administrative commands are disabled in the web interface for security reasons. Please use the GNOME CUPS manager (System > Administration > Printing)."

The box on which I am trying to run CUPS is Ubuntu 2.6.12-9-686, a recent version of Ubuntu server. Gnome and KDE are not installed since I ultimately want to run this as a headless print and file server. The root account has been enabled, and I can login remotely as root using ssh.

Below is the /admin portion of cupsd.conf.

<Location /admin>

AuthType Basic
AuthClass System

## Restrict access to local domain
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow from 192.168.1.0/24

#Encryption Required
</Location>

>From what I have read root is by default a member of the lpadmin group. I should not have to do anything with a shadow group cupsys unless I want to enable some other user to perform administrative duties in CUPS.

Since this might be due to the unique way Ubuntu uses the root account I am posting this on both cups and ubuntu forums.

John B.