Real-world use of backend error handler?

Michael embedded at verizon.net
Sun Aug 20 13:28:44 PDT 2006

Hello,

I'm setting up CUPS on Debian Sarge, and though I'm a total newb with CUPS, I'm happy to report things started working very well once I realized I needed to install foomatic to get the universal filter.

Now I got to the point in the CUPS Quickstart that talks about the backend error handler (beh).  I want to use this command:
lpadmin -p HP5L -E -v beh:/0/0/8/parallel:/dev/lp0

My main question is where the lpadmin command should be invoked from.  I am tempted to put it under /etc/init.d/cupsys so that is invoked whenever the CUPS server is started or restarted.  Is this the standard thing to do?

Smaller questions I have about this command line are:
1.  Is the "queue name" you put after the -p arbitrary, or does it have to match the name of your printer?
2.  My man page for lpadmin says that for encryption the -E should come before the -p.  Will it still work reversed as in the suggested beh syntax?
3.  What exactly is supposed to get encrypted if I'm just configuring 1 PC connected to 1 printer.  Is the encryption option really only for when you have a separate machine acting as a print server, so the traffic from your print client PC to the print server PC gets encrypted?

Pretty basic questions, but to me they're stumpers...  Thanks in advance!