[cups.general] Real-world use of backend error handler?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Aug 20 18:22:04 PDT 2006

On Aug 20, 2006, at 21:12 , Michael wrote:

> In #1, I wasn't sure if the queue name was arbitrary, because the
> command line also specifies the old URI for the printer--so it
> could have been figuring out "which printer" that way.

There's no guarantee that they match, although you're making your
life more difficult if they don't --- but I can imagine queue and
device names being different because everyone (or worse, every
program; I've heard some horror stories about dealing with various
bits of commercial software) expects the queue to have a particular
name.  Also, there *is* no useful name when the printer is directly
connected to a parallel or USB port.

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]
allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university
KF8NH