cups newbie

Michael embedded at verizon.net
Mon Aug 21 22:47:13 PDT 2006

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to set up a printer and  http://localhost:631 give a page from where if I choose anything the browser just hangs with the message "Waiting for localhost...".
> >
> > I have try the hard way, without the webadmin interface, but without any luck. Anything I do ends up with errors. For example thinks like "lpadmin -p printer -E -v device -m ppd" give:
> >
> > lpadmin: add-printer (enable) failed: client-error-forbidden

I just did my 1st CUPS install a couple days ago--also on Debian Sarge.  Didn't see the problems you're talking about, but they sound to me like permission issues.  If you go to http://localhost:631/admin, do you get the login page, and can you sign in successfully?  Are you signing in as root or a member of the lpadmin group?  And do you have your loopback interface set up (I believe this is needed for localhost addresses, right??)?  Those are my shots in the dark.

Mike