"Toner/Ink Saver" implementation?

garycarroll garycarroll at charter.net
Tue Aug 22 13:26:53 PDT 2006

Neither the brightness or gamma functions do what I want, since each
lightens grays but leaves dead black unchanged. I do think one or the
other is in fact what most people would want, since most want to save
toner on graphics but leave text black.

However, the documents I am trying to save toner/ink on are exclusively
text, and so I need something that lightens text.

Your comment about the transfer function pointed me at what I needed.
added several modified transfer functions to the ppd so that the user
can select the desired transfer function via the CUPS "modify printer"
UI. The user selects the appropriate function to fit the printer
(different printers react differently), the document type, and the
degree of lightening that is acceptable. Rather than change the function
for different runs we just set up several queues pointing to the same
printer, each with a different function selected.

Preliminary results look very good. Fine detail is actually usually a
little better than the printer defaults, and the desaturation of blacks
is not noticable except in large blocks, which does not happen in the
docs in question.

Thanks LOTS for your help.