"Toner/Ink Saver" implementation?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Aug 22 14:03:34 PDT 2006

garycarroll wrote:
> Neither the brightness or gamma functions do what I want, since each
> lightens grays but leaves dead black unchanged. I do think one or the
> other is in fact what most people would want, since most want to save
> toner on graphics but leave text black.

Sounds like your printer or driver is bypassing the PostScript
transfer function, or the current implementation of brightness
isn't working with your apps/documents.

> Your comment about the transfer function pointed me at what I needed.
> added several modified transfer functions to the ppd so that the user
> can select the desired transfer function via the CUPS "modify printer"
> UI. The user selects the appropriate function to fit the printer
> (different printers react differently), the document type, and the
> degree of lightening that is acceptable. Rather than change the function
> for different runs we just set up several queues pointing to the same
> printer, each with a different function selected.

Hmm, that would seem to indicate that brightness is not working in
the current release.  Can you file a STR on this so we can fix it
for 1.2.3?

Thanks!