[cups.general] CUPS slow to start

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Aug 23 07:57:36 PDT 2006

Minatra, Pat H. wrote:
> In /var/spool/cups:
>
> ls -l c* | wc -l = 8035
> ls -l d* | wc -l = 8034
>
> Values of:
> PreserveJobFiles Yes
> PreserveJobHistory Yes
> MaxJobs 0
> AutoPurgeJobs No
>
> The reason these are set like they are is due to customer complaint
> sometimes the only thing that I have available to determine if a job was
> actually sent is to locate it in /var/spool/cups.  Now, what I can do is
> a cron job or something that after they get so old they are removed
> through cron but I am not quite sure that is the 'correct' way to handle
> it; something like say '/bin/find /var/spool/cups -mtime +60 -exec rm {}
> \;' or something along that line.  This would allow me to keep anything
> up to 60 days I think.
>
> We only have 147 printers on one CUPS server on ONE Uznix box with one
> main application.
>
> Am open to any and all suggestions.  Thank you so much.
>
> -------------------------
> "Life is but a twinkle in the eye of eternity"
> "The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance
> between your knees and the floor"
> "sorrow looks back - worry looks around - faith looks up"
> Regards,
> Pat H. Minatra - N5GJR
> (325) 670-5804 voice
> (325) 670-1570 fax
> Hardin*Simmons University
> www.hsutx.edu
> PO BOX 16040
> Abilene, TX  79698

Instead of preserving the job history (and even the job files) you could
do the following:
- get the beh (backend error handler) script (www.linuxprinting.org/beh.html)
   and modify it to write sort of a log file that reports which
   jobs have been successfully printed and which not.
- if you really need to reprint jobs, you could leave your configuration options
   as they are and within the beh delete the jobs you don't need to
   retain (by cancel command).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke