[cups.general] CUPS slow to start

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Aug 23 07:59:01 PDT 2006

Minatra, Pat H. <pminatra at hsutx.edu> wrote (Wednesday 23 August 2006 16:39):

> In /var/spool/cups:
>
> ls -l c* | wc -l = 8035
> ls -l d* | wc -l = 8034

Well, 8000 jobs in the job history, plus all of the job files preserved as
well -- that does entirely explain why you should see a very slow startup
of cupsd.

> Values of:
> PreserveJobFiles Yes
> PreserveJobHistory Yes
> MaxJobs 0
> AutoPurgeJobs No

If you set f.e.

  MaxJobs 1000

you'd keep the 1000 latest jobs and their history around without a need
to devise your own cleanup script.

> The reason these are set like they are is due to customer complaint
> sometimes the only thing that I have available to determine if a job was
> actually sent is to locate it in /var/spool/cups.  Now, what I can do is
> a cron job or something that after they get so old they are removed
> through cron but I am not quite sure that is the 'correct' way to handle
> it;

Well, it's not an elegant way :-)  but you may have no other choice.

> something like say '/bin/find /var/spool/cups -mtime +60 -exec rm {}
> \;' or something along that line.

If you urgently need the jobs around for a long time, you could
replace the "rm" by an "mv". That way you could push back any job
(c* plus d* file) under investigation into the valid spool directory
(but you'd need to restart cupsd to get it recognized).

Cheers,
Kurt