Officejet Pro K550 does not work with cups 1.2.2

Gerald Dietze DSI at Gerald-Dietze.de
Thu Aug 24 08:29:24 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I have got the problem of installing an Officejet Pro K550 with Cups
1.2.2 running under Mac OS 10.4.7 though this printer is said to work
perfectly with cups. We are using this printer as a bonjour-printer
being attached to an airport-extreme base station. beh, the Backend
Error Handler was also installed.

We had already installed an Epson Stylus Color 900 with cups and it
worked fine - so the cups-installation seems to be OK.

The steps I've proceeded successfully, meanwhile (see
http://linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html):

-I've downloaded the hpijs-driver contained in the ppd-file:
HP-OfficeJet_Pro_K550-hpijs.ppd

-I have copied the ppd-file to the directory /usr/share/cups/model/

-then I restarted my system (because I don't have a good Linux/Unix
knowledge and the command on OSX seems to be different as described).

-I downloaded foomatic-rip and foomatic-gswrapper and copied both files
to the /usr/bin/ directory where I changed the permissions with:
chmod 755 foomatic-rip foomatic-gswrapper

then I made the symbolic link:

ln -s /usr/bin/foomatic-rip /usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip

as told in the installation guide, the paths can differ and I found the
/cups/filter/ directories in the /libexec-directory.

-Instead of calling the Add printer wizard, I used the printer-utility
to set up the printer fur cups:
  -add printer, where I opened the IP-printer-field, chose a
printer-name, name of the base-station as location, "HP" in the dropdown
menue of the printer type an then I chose the appearing Officejet Pro
K550 entry and "add printer".

Now I have an additional printer in the list - but using it leads to two
different error messages and then just to a disabled printer queue.

The error-messages are:
/usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed

and:
Network host 'AppleExtremeBasis.local.' is busy; will retry in 20 seconds.

The airport-station is not offline or busy, printing with the normal
OSX-Printer-Driver works fine.

Because I am not that familiar with linux, I don't know what to do now.

Maybe some of you professionals may help me?

Best wishes and thanks in advance,

Gerald