[cups.general] Can't print bank statement from ar, test page fine.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizononline.net
Thu Aug 24 09:56:10 PDT 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 07:31, Michael Sweet wrote:
>Helge Blischke wrote:
>> Tim Waugh wrote:
>>>
>>> The correct variable name is actually GS_FONTPATH, and it's not the
>>> GS_FONTPATH variable in your login environment that's important but
>>> the execution environment of ghostscript while processing the job.
>>> For foomatic jobs on Fedora Core/Red Hat Enterprise Linux it gets set
>>> in /usr/bin/foomatic-gswrapper:
>>>
>>> $ENV{'GS_FONTPATH'} = '/usr/share/fonts';
>>>
>>> ..meaning that any fonts under '/usr/share/fonts' are allowed to be
>>> read by ghostscript.
>>>
>>> Do you think there are other font paths that should be added?
>>>
>>> Tim.
>>> */
>>
>> Yes, the environment variable is GS_FONTPATH. I reported gs' internal
>> system variable name by accident.
>>
>> To set this variable reliably for use with CUPS, insert an appropriate
>> statement into your /etc/init.d/cups startup script.
>
>*Or* set the FontPath directive in cupsd.conf... :)

Which is by default conmmented out, but if simply uncommented, would point
at a directory with a very restricted content:
[root at coyote root]# ls /usr/share/cups/fonts
Courier  Courier-Bold  Courier-BoldOblique  Courier-Oblique  Symbol
which would, if gs isn't able to do its own search for resources, really
screw things up.  Or, should I set it, and then go on a rampage of moving
all the goodies to that directory, or to a directory of my choice.

--
Cheers, Gene
People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should append the