[cups.general] CUPS slow to start

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Aug 24 10:30:21 PDT 2006

Minatra, Pat H. wrote:

> It is my belief that I need to change the following settings:
>
> Values of:
> PreserveJobFiles Yes
> PreserveJobHistory Yes
> MaxJobs 0
> AutoPurgeJobs No
>
> Set MaxJobs to 500 and ALSO set AutoPurgeJobs to Yes and this should
> allow FIFO to work.
>
> Does this make sense?

AutoPurgeJobs is only used when you have quotas enabled on a
queue.

> In the past MaxJobs was set at 500 but the AutoPurgeJobs was set at No
> and it deleted the latest jobs and kept the oldest jobs.

It should never have done this - the code is specifically written
to remove the oldest completed jobs first, and will *never* remove
a pending/active job.  If you have N active/pending jobs and have
MaxJobs set to N as well, then new jobs will be refused until one
or more jobs are completed.