[cups.general] /var/spool/cups - c files vs d files

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Aug 24 10:38:09 PDT 2006

Minatra, Pat H. wrote:
> Can anyone help me understand why I would have c files under
> /var/spool/cups but no d files?

The "c" files are the "control" files and provide job history data.
They are kept until the scheduler no longer needs it, typically
only the most recent 500 (or whatever MaxJobs is set to) jobs.
The PreserveJobHistory directive controls whether they are kept at
all after a job is printed.

The "d" files are the "data" files and provide the job print files.
The default configuration keeps them until printed, and then they
are removed (job history but no job files for reprinting).  The
PreserveJobFiles directive controls whether they are kept after
the job is printed.

So, if you have "c" files but no "d" files, then all of the jobs are
printed.