[cups.general] Very poor performance when printing using IPP/Postscript on Epson AcuLaser 1900PS

Markus Meyer meyer at mesw.de
Thu Aug 24 14:06:23 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

this problem has been with me for a very long time and you are my last
hope to fix it.

I have a Epson AcuLaser C1900PS (with Adobe Postscript Level 3 ROM)
which has a LAN and an USB interface. I'm using the "epalc190.ppd" file
which I found on linuxprinting.org some time ago. When printing using
the "Postscript" driver over USB, performance is as expected: when
sending a 4-page text print job from the PC, the "data" led blinks for
like 2 seconds, then all 4 pages are spit out one after another.
However, when connecting the printer to my network (small home network
using a WLAN/DSL router) and setting it up to print over IPP using the
"Postscript" driver, performance is very poor: when sending the same
4-page text print job from the PC, the "data" led does not blink but
lights steadily for a long time (say, a minute or so). Then, suddenly,
the led begins to blink and shortly after that, the printer prints the
first page of the print job. After that, the led again lights steadily
for a long time, until it starts to blink again and the printer prints
the second page. This continues until the last page is printed. After
that, the light does not switch off (as when using USB) but continues to
light steadily. The print job also remains in the queue. Sometimes (but
not always) the status of the printer inside cups changes to
"interrupted", as if a timeout had not been met. Interestingly enough,
when not using the "Postscript" driver, but the "eplaser" driver,
printing over IPP works ok (not as fast as using USB, but still ok).

I'm using the CUPS shipped with Ubuntu Dapper on i386.

Any help / pointers greatly appreciated.

Markus