[cups.general] Query about how to setup server so it sends browsepackets to other networks....ain't workin...

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Aug 25 08:54:06 PDT 2006

wtautz <wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote (Friday 25 August 2006 16:03):

> Hi,
>
> I have a server that does not listen for incoming browser packets as I
> only have locally
> configured printers, i.e. printers that exist in printers.conf file.
>
> I have
> BrowseAddressAddress xxx.xxx.xxx.255:631 and then

I assume, the "AddressAddress" duplication is only a typo in this
post, not the configuration?

Also, your xxx.xxx.xxx.255 is a valid broadcast address for that
particular LAN?

What is the netmask used for the server?

And your relay does "Allow From" the CUPS server? Or at least does
*not* "Deny From" the CUPS server?

And you are aware, that this broadcasting will not cross any routers
or gateways (unless you have a very special configuration on these
devices)?

> we have
>
> BrowseRelay hostname-of-server xxx.xxx.xxx.255

On the relaying host, you could also try a combination of "BrowsePoll"
and "BrowseRelay". It works quite well for cases where your relay is
in a separate network/subnet from the actual CUPS server:

  BrowsePoll   my.remote.cups.server.domain:631
  BrowseRelay  127.0.0.1 @LOCAL

> No luck. I did get it to work if I specified the client's IP in the
> BrowseAddress directive.

If you specify an IP, it is no longer a broadcast and will be passed
through the gateway/router....

Cheers,
Kurt