[cups.general] Newbie needs help can't setup printer

Markus Meyer meyer at mesw.de
Mon Aug 28 01:27:54 PDT 2006

Hi Shayne,

chances are, your printer supports the HP JetDirect protocol. Just
choose "HP JetDirect" as the protocol (instead of IPP), then enter the
IP address of your printer and leave the port at 9100.

If that doesn't work, you can try IPP, but you need to find out the
name. E.g., I have an EPSON AcuLaser 1900PS where the path is
http://192.168.0.30/EPSON_IPP_Printer (where 192.168.0.30 is the
printer's IP address of course). Your printer may have a web interface
(at http://the-printers-ip-address/) which may list the available
methods of connecting with it. Otherwise, the printer's manual may help.

Markus