[cups.general] Query about how to setup server so it sends browsepackets to other networks....ain't workin...

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Aug 28 05:59:40 PDT 2006

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> wtautz <wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote (Friday 25 August 2006 16:03):
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a server that does not listen for incoming browser packets as I
>> only have locally
>> configured printers, i.e. printers that exist in printers.conf file.
>>
>> I have
>> BrowseAddressAddress xxx.xxx.xxx.255:631 and then
>>

> I assume, the "AddressAddress" duplication is only a typo in this
> post, not the configuration?

Yes.

> Also, your xxx.xxx.xxx.255 is a valid broadcast address for that
> particular LAN?

Probably, I'll have to confirm that with our network guru.

> What is the netmask used for the server?

Yup.
> And your relay does "Allow From" the CUPS server? Or at least does
> *not* "Deny From" the CUPS server?

I don't have any specific directive in it. See the config files that I
had included.
> And you are aware, that this broadcasting will not cross any routers
> or gateways (unless you have a very special configuration on these
> devices)?

I have seen it mentioned. What specific tests, (using network tools)
could I perform to get a better sense of whether such "special"
configuration is enabled or not? I.e, other than the fact that cups
is seeing the packets. I suspect any kind of test that uses IP address
of single hosts will of course not be an issue as you note below.

>> we have
>>
>> BrowseRelay hostname-of-server xxx.xxx.xxx.255
>>

> On the relaying host, you could also try a combination of "BrowsePoll"
> and "BrowseRelay". It works quite well for cases where your relay is
> in a separate network/subnet from the actual CUPS server:
>
>   BrowsePoll   my.remote.cups.server.domain:631
>   BrowseRelay  127.0.0.1 @LOCAL

yes, I am aware of this model and I have been telling folks in the
subnets that
this is the preferred model.
>> No luck. I did get it to work if I specified the client's IP in the
>> BrowseAddress directive.
>>

> If you specify an IP, it is no longer a broadcast and will be passed
> through the gateway/router....

Yes, it's no longer "broad".