[cups.general] FW: Getting "7 IPP Read Error!"

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Aug 28 12:33:53 PDT 2006

Minatra, Pat H. wrote:
> I am running 1.1.23 at this time but am not quite ready to jump off and
> upgrade to the latest version due to the massive amounts of print queues
> with all the major options as the way I understand it you have to build
> from scratch and can't just copy the files over.
>
> If anyone knows for certain you can just copy the lpoptions and
> printers.conf file over without building from scratch, please feel free
> to correct me but at this point in time I am not quite sure that it can
> be done that easily.

Normally you can upgrade to 1.2.x and keep the same configuration
files.  The only problems our customers have experienced concerned
their web interface customizations - the template files have changed,
and the old "hack" of using location-based access control for fine-
grained access control should be replaced by policies.

Of course, I would recommend installing on a separate system first
and testing it before moving the new CUPS to your production print
server...