Officejet Pro K550 does not work with cups 1.2.2

Gerald Dietze DSI at Gerald-Dietze.de
Thu Aug 31 06:07:15 PDT 2006

Hi Matt,

I have removed the files and links that I previously made and then
installed the hpijs drivers from the site
http://linuxprinting.org/macosx/hpijs/

> a. HP indicates that the printer uses PCL 3 enhanced.
> b. linuxprinting.org indicates that it works with the hpijs drivers

so it should work basically with almost any Officejet driver distributed
by the hpijs package.

> c. the PPD from linuxprinting.org calls on the "ijs" device which should
> be built in to your copy of Ghostscript.

I am not so sure about that but I installed the espgs-7.07.1.ppc.dmg
file at first which is no problem with a previously installed version of
ghostscript.

> As you have already added the PPD to /usr/share/cups/model, you should
> be set with a PPD that will work with the Mac OS X hpijs distribution.

Yes, by copying the ppd-file to this directory, I can select the printer
  directly from the OSX-Printer-Setup.

But anyway there occur still the following error messages when I am
trying to print:
<
No %%BoundingBox: comment in header!
Network host '10.0.1.1 is busy ; will retry in 30 seconds

For the printer setup I chose the OSX printer utility's option add
printer and:
-Internet Printing Protocol - IPP
-Address: 10.0.1.1 (which is the IP of the Airport base station that the
printer is attached to)
-chose HP Officejet Pro K550 Foomatic/hpijs from the menue.

To me it seems that there is a communication problem between cups and
the network, but I don't have an idea how to solve it (as I wrote:
printing with the original OSX driver works perfectly).

Can anybody help?

Thanks and best wishes,

Gerald