How to avoid seeing network printers?

David Bernholdt bernholdtde at ornl.gov
Thu Aug 31 13:29:45 PDT 2006

I'm running CUPS 1.1.22 in a RHEL 4 installation.

I've explicitly configured the four printers that I use, but CUPS is picking up another dozen or two from the network.  For me, these just clutter things up and I'd rather not see them.

I assume they are being picked up by CUPS's browsing feature, but I can't seem to disable it.  In cupsd.conf, I've set:
   Browsing Off
   BrowseDeny All
   BrowseInterval 0
   BrowseOrder deny,allow
None of it seems to have any effect on the network printers.

If I set LogLevel debug and look at the error_log, I see nothing special, except a bunch of messages like
   Added remote printer "Alcolor"...
   Added remote printer "HPColorLaserJet4500"...
   Added implicit class "Alcolor"...
which have nothing to do with any configuration I have provided.  No detail is provided on where these additions are coming from or anything like that.

What am I missing?
Thanks!