[cups.development] needs to provide backward compatibility API thenbump up soname?

Kenshi Muto kmuto at debian.org
Wed Aug 2 08:33:56 PDT 2006

At Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:33:18 -0400,
Michael Sweet wrote:
> Kenshi Muto wrote:
> > For example the change from cups_strlcpy to _cups_strlcpy breaks
> > the combination of cupsd 1.1 and libcupsys 1.2.
>
> We work very hard to not break binary compatibility with *public*
> APIs.
>
> Since those emulation functions are a) not public APIs and b) not
> available on all systems (i.e. they only show up if your platform
> doesn't provide the named functions), they aren't considered for
> the library version number.  Non-CUPS programs using these functions
> should expect to fail at random times depending on the version of
> CUPS that is installed...

Actually as far as I checked, the affected programs by this
changes are only CUPS suite itself. (cupsd, imagetops, imagetoraster)

Although it is an irregular situation to use CUPS 1.1 with libcups2
of 1.2, some package systems like Debian may make such a situation.
After considering whether I write backward compatibility code or not,
I decided to add easy dependency, "library conlict with old cupsd" for
Debian system.

Thank you for your quick answer.

Thanks,
--