[cups.development] Re: [RFE] STR #1869: Automatic '-o raw' for non-DSC-conforming PostScript?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Aug 2 19:48:11 PDT 2006

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

It is unlikely in the extreme that we will enable automatic raw printing
out-of-the-box - it is just too dangerous/unsecure.

Your sample file just doesn't conform to the DSC, and there isn't anything
we can do to get around that short of running the entire document through
Ghostscript to sanitize the file and get something we can filter and send
to a printer safely.  The best thing I can recommend is to either define
an alternate MIME type (application/badps?) and filter (which adds a %! to
the front of the print data), or provide your users with a print script
they must use that does it for them, e.g.:

    #!/bin/sh
    (echo '%!'; cat $1) | lp -d printer

This basically just tells the standard PostScript filter that the output
does not, in fact, conform to the DSC and then prints it in a
backwards-compatible way that usually works for broken files like this.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1869
Version:  -feature
Fix Version: Will Not Fix