[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1888: I receive a HTTP log message inthe access_log every 5 seconds

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Aug 9 05:24:36 PDT 2006

Kevin Duckett wrote:
> [STR New]
>
> I think I discovered that /usr/bin/eggcups affected the logging.  The
> application seems to start when I start the GNOME desktop. Its part of the
> desktop-printing-0.1.10-6 package in the RH9 distrobution.  After I
> renamed the binary the logging stopped.  However, what is a better long
> term solution?
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1888
> Version: 1.1.17

Yes, eggcups is the culprit, And more, the RH folks hacked CUPS heavily
to conform to their dbus stuff and use eggcups to trace the print job's
progress. That leads to excessive error messages ("Job xxxx doesn't exist")
on CUPS servers running on non-RH machines (corresponding to the HTTP
messages in the access_log.

You better never use the gnome printing support stuff.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung