[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1907: Problem printing GMT PostScript

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Aug 11 07:22:22 PDT 2006

John M Kuhn wrote:
> [STR New]
>
> I have a problem when printing PostScript files created with GMT (Generic
> Mapping Tools) using Ubuntu Dapper 6.06.  This is using cupsys version
> 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.6.06.  I create a PostScript file with the following
> command:
>
> /usr/lib/gmt/bin/psxy --PAPER_MEDIA=letter -R1/7.5/1/10 -JX6.5i/9i \
>    -Ba1f0.25WSne -P /dev/null > test.ps
>
> The resulting test.ps file previews correctly in gv and every other
> PS viewer I have tried.  When I print the file, the resulting page
> has my figure magnified about 4x such that the lower left of the
> figure fills the entire page.  I get the same result on 4 different
> PostScript printers (different models and manufacturers).
>
> Other PostScript files generated in OOo or Firefox print correctly.
>
> The file will print correctly if I use "-oraw".
> If I copy the test.ps file to other machines running CUPS 1.1.23
> or other spooling systems, the file will print correctly on the
> same 4 printers.
>
> It appears that pstops is doing something that causes the PostScript
> command "0.24 0.24 scale" to be ignored resulting in the figure
> being scaled by a factor of 4.16667.
>
> I filed a bug with Ubuntu:
>    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/55694
>
> Pascal De Vuyst confirmed the bug and suggested that I file here.
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1907
> Version: 1.2.2

The generated PS stream violates the DSC in the following respects:

(1) the first %%EndProlog comment line must be deleted; there is another one
     at the (presumably) correct position.
(2) The prolog section is in fact a mixture of procedure definitions
     ans setup statements.

But fixing (1) above should be enough to make it suitable for the pstops
filter of 1.2.x.

If you cannot fix this in GMT and desperately need it to work with CUPS 1.2.x,
let me know; fixing (1) above could be done by a simple filter script
in CUPS.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke