[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #1916: Handling of remote printers changed.

Giuseppe Borzi gborzi at ieee.org
Wed Aug 16 15:37:41 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I have one question about what seems to be different functioning of cups
from 1.2.1 to 1.2.2 . I have a desktop with a connected Samsung printer
and a laptop connected to the desktop through a cross cable. The desktop
acts as a print server for the laptop. With cups 1.2.1 on both computers
cups was configured to use the driver for the specific model and it was
OK. When I upgraded to 1.2.2 the desktop server continued to print fine,
but the laptop client stopped working. Trying to print from the laptop
resulted in an error page from the printer.
After a while I found a solution: configuring CUPS on the laptop to use
the Raw->Queue driver. Alternatively, configure CUPS on the desktop to use
the Raw->Queue driver and CUPS on the laptop to use the specific printer
driver. This issue has been discussed on ubuntuforums, some people think
it's a bug, but I think it can be a feature as I stated there:

"It can be also viewed as a "feature". Let's suppose that you want to
enforce options for the print server (e.g. toner saving). With solution 1)
this can be done. With 2) you leave driver option freedom to the clients.
As for Windows box, I think they can still work with solution 1) by using
a generic Postscript printer driver on the client for the network
printer."

Note: solution 1) means Raw->Queue on clients, 2) means Raw->Queue on
server.
So I would like to know: is it a bug or a feature ? Thanks in advance for
your replies.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1916
Version: 1.2.2