[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #1927: lpq/lprm don't work with remote LPD queues

Jan Iven jan.iven at cern.ch
Tue Aug 22 04:36:16 PDT 2006

[STR New]

Our setup consists of several central LPD print servers with raw queues.
Clients use CUPS (RHEL4 Linux version in this case) with
locally-configured print queues that handle the translation to PS before
sending off the result to the remote LPD queue.
Printing works fine, but querying only returns the status of the local
queue(s) which are typically empty most of the time (since the conversion
is quick). Likewise, removing a job is only possible as long as it is
still on the local machine, i.e. a few milliseconds after submission.

Since the LPD protocol allows to query the remote job status and request a
cancel on a remote queue, could CUPS forward such requests to remote LPD
queues? A homegrown tool that talks LPD directly happily shows the remote
queues and allows removing jobs from them.

STR#236 seems to say "not by design" but also says that we should at least
get the status of local jobs pending on the remote queue if not the full
view of the queue.. and none of the docs I have seen mentions that
lpq/lprm are not supposed to work against LPD queues.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1927
Version: 1.1.22rc1