[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1943: Not all settings are stored to the PPD file when configuring a printer through web interface

Martin OEsterlund tosca at cs.aau.dk
Tue Aug 29 05:08:26 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I'am not sure to which extend this applies to several printers/ppds.

I'am running cups 1.2.2 on a RHEL4 linux installation.

And discovered the following problem.

When changeing some printer settings (eg. Set Printer Options)
Not all options are stored to the ppd file.

This was discovered configuring a HP LaserJet 4250 dtn.
For example when specifying that "Duplex Unit" is installed --
the webinterface reports "Settings saved successfully"
However when modifying the settings afterwards none of the
radiobuttons indicating weather this unit is or isn't installed are
marked.

Comparing the ppd file before and after the change, revealed
that only modification date/time had changed -- the content was the exact
same.

Thinking this was a permission issue, I played around for a bit --
and found that when changeing eg. paper type from eg. plain to cardstoch
-- the ppd's changed correctly.

Attached you will find,
error_log
cupsd.conf