CUPS horror story

Zoubidoo zoubidoo at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 30 09:45:40 PDT 2006

> Zoubidoo wrote:
> > I came across this rather damning article of CUPS a few months ago.
> >
> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
> >
> > Has the article been seen by the CUPS community?  Has it led to any
> > action being taken?
>
> First, this is old news - originally posted in Jan 2004...

I didn't know that - it is dated April 2006.  Anyway that means a bit of time has elapsed to address the problems ;-)

> Second, most of the issues brought up in the article were issues with
> the Linux distribution ESR used and not with CUPS itself.  I can't
> speak for the Linux distributors, however there is still room for a
> lot of improvement there, something that we are actively pushing for
> at the Linux Printing Summits.
>
> I believe that we have addressed all of the CUPS-specific issues in
> CUPS 1.2, such that setting up and sharing a printer in 1.2 is now as
> simple as choosing "Manage Printing" from the "System" menu to bring
> up the CUPS web interface and then either clicking on the "Add This
> Printer" button or the "Share published printers connected to this
> system" check box.

My print server was running fedora 2 with cups 1.1 and I have had pretty much the same experience as reported in the article.  So it did strike a chord.

Motivated by your reply I built cups 1.3svn on my fc2 system, it compiled fine but gave runtime errors (missing symbols, presumably something to do with dynamic libraries and search paths).  Rather than bash away at that I chose to upgrade to ubuntu (something that was already planned).

Looking forward to easy printer sharing...