CUPS horror story

Zoubidoo zoubidoo at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 31 02:38:50 PDT 2006

> > Looking forward to easy printer sharing...
> Good luck then with Ubuntu.
> I hope you won't run into these issues then:

[snip]
> Maybe some magic fairy queen has made them go away in the meantime...

Yes quite right Kurt.  So, now I'm on day 2 of getting printer sharing to work on the "most user-friendly linux distribution"

gnome-cups-manager doesn't appear to support printer sharing.  Several  google searches later for documentation on gnome cups manager doesn't reveal anything.  Is it just me?   (I appreciate gnome-cups-manager is developed elsewhere, but just so you know.)

Next, I try the CUPS web interface (localhost:631). It has a promising checkbox "share published printers connected to this system".  Excellent!  Then it asks me for a "username and password for 'CUPS'".  The only password for this ubuntu platform doesn't work.  This very problem was mentioned in ESR's article, so from the outside it looks like no progress here.

Looks like I'm going to have to teach Auntie Tilly how to edit cups.conf ;-)