[cups.general] Mac-generated PDF doesn't print.

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Dec 2 13:48:42 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 09:56:04AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Here's the PDF file.
>
>     http://hank.org/test.pdf

Ok, it seems to be font related, not related to the application on the
iBook.  I'm not familiar with postscript, or how fonts work.  I first
suspected that it had to do with fonts not supported by the printer
(although I thought the fonts were included in the ps file.)

The original file had a 64pt font.

Now, if I print a document with just 64pt Arial it prints.  If I print with
just 64 pt Helvetica it prints.  But if I have a document with a few chars
of both then nothing prints.

If I reduce the font size it seems I can print both together.

Is this a problem with the printer?  Or the postscript that is being
sent to the printer?  I kind of thought the printer would report an
error.

I also have an Epson Stylus Photo 870 that uses Gutenprint v5 and the
document prints fine there.

So, it's either the printer or something is happening to the
postscript as Cups sends it to the 4ML postscript printer.

Any suggestions on how to debug further?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org