[cups.general] Discovering Supported Printers

David Lobo davidlobo75 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 22:23:11 PST 2006

Hi all

I am developing a custom printer driver using CUPS. I have written a sample
filter, PDE and a backend. I have placed all the modules at the respective
locations. I had logged few log messages just to know the control flow for
CUPS driver. And all the logs are getting printed properly.

Before I was using Tioga PM, PBM, IOM and PDE for our printer driver.  Since
I am begginer, I have few doubts regarding CUPS driver.

I wanted to display my custom printer queues "myqueue[attached tag] on the
"Printer Setup Utility". Before I used to achieve this in PBM and PM with
custom printer browser. PM's MyPMCreatePrinterBrowserModuleInfoCallback()
used to return the printer queue list that the driver supports. And PBM
would display a subset of the list according to the connection status. How
can we achieve this in CUPS driver?

In the CUPS documentation I have read that we can list the device that the
driver going to support in the backend. And this can be done by checking for
the argument count  equal to 1.I have tried this, by writing to stdout in
the defined format( ex "direct myURI \"Unknown\" \"USB Printer\"" for USB
connection).But this didn't add myqueue to the Printer Setup Utility.
Is it possible in the backend to set, an array of printer queues to display
in the Printer setup utility?

Alternatively I used Tioga PBM with few modifications like setting the PPD
key. Then I used a dummy PM and IOM just to coordinate with PBM. By doing so
I can list myqueues in the custom print browser of Printer Setup Utility.

I wanted to know is it necessary to use dummy PM and IOM just to list the
queues, as I am handling the PM and IOM functionality in the CUPS filter.

Any help is highly apreciated.

Thanks in advance
David