Does Cups support DeviceAdjustMatrix?

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 5 10:30:28 PST 2006

I'm running a Brother HL-1440 printer on Fedora-6 Linux, using Cups.  I have installed the ppd file from LinuxPrinting as /etc/cups/ppd/Brother-HL-1440-hl1250.ppd . The fundamental problem is that the printer crops the image so that not everything that ought to be printed actually appears on the page; the cropping appears to be about 10 to 15 points (a little more than an
8th of an inch) on each side.

I have run the alignmargins script, which uses align.ps; but all that this does is move a "window" into the image around.  I need to reduce the size of the image so that it will all fit onto the page.

It seems that the right thing to do is to edit a DeviceAdjustMatrix line into the ppd file, which I have done as follows:

*Throughput:    "1"
*DeviceAdjustMatrix: "[0.8 0 0 0.8 0 0]"
*LandscapeOrientation: Plus90

This should (I think) have the effect of reducing the size of the image by 20%, which would make it fit on the page.  Unfortunately, this line seems to have no effect at all.

What am I doing wrong?  What is the right thing to do?

Thanks - jon