Does Cups support DeviceAdjustMatrix?

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 5 20:32:54 PST 2006

> Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > It seems that the right thing to do is to edit a DeviceAdjustMatrix line into the ppd file, which I have done as follows:
> >
> > ..
> > *Throughput:    "1"
> > *DeviceAdjustMatrix: "[0.8 0 0 0.8 0 0]"
> > *LandscapeOrientation: Plus90
> > ..
> >
> > This should (I think) have the effect of reducing the size of the image by 20%, which would make it fit on the page.  Unfortunately, this line seems to have no effect at all.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?  What is the right thing to do?

Michael Sweet replied:
> CUPS (and Ghostscript) do not support DeviceAdjustMatrix (which AFAIK
> is not a standard attribute).
>
> Your problem is likely either with the Ghostscript driver you are
> using, the language support in the printer, or a hard limit in the
> printer itself.

Jonathan Ryshpan writes:
Thanks.

DeviceAdjustMatrix is in fact part of Adobe's spec (See Adobe's "PostScript Printer Description File Format Specification: Version 4.3", not that this matters much (8-)).  The problem seems to be, just as you say, that various applications (Firefox, etc.) are producing output for an 8-1/2 * 11 inch page, but that the actual printable area is about 1/8 in less on all sides; this is almost surely a printer hard limit.

So the question remains: either how to either tell the applicaitons to print for an 8-1/4 * 10-3/8 inch page or to shrink the output to fit on the printable area.  Does either "*PatchFile:" or "JobPatchFile 1:" work in cups (I had hoped to avoid writing PostScript, since I don't know the language, but any port in a storm.) If neither works, is there any way to get cups to do what needs to be done?  Possibly modify the driver; where is the driver?

Thanks again - jon