[cups.general] Excessive spool files slows CUPS

Minatra, Pat H. pminatra at hsutx.edu
Wed Dec 6 07:53:59 PST 2006

The settings are:

PreserveJobFiles Yes

MaxPrinterHistory 10 - this is commented out.

MaxJobs 0 - this is the part that does NOT work correctly and is the only way that I can keep my jobs so I must manually purge.

Yes, we are at a particular version in that it goes to the set amount and then does not delete the oldest in favor of placing the newest into this directory.  The version is 1.1.21 and we are not in a situation that is conducive of upgrading to a later version.

When we set the MaxJobs to 500, it kept 500 files but ONLY the FIRST 500 jobs and did not FIFO the files so we had to go with MaxJobs at 0 to be sure to get the files in order to troubleshoot problems.

It is my thinking that possibly the only solution that renders itself to me is to stop CUPS, remove the files, start CUPS.

Thank you for any help with this as we have really struggled to keep our customer base happy with the product.

-------------------------
"Life is but a twinkle in the eye of eternity"
"The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor"
"sorrow looks back - worry looks around - faith looks up"
Regards,
Pat H. Minatra - N5GJR
(325) 670-5804 voice
(325) 670-1570 fax
Hardin-Simmons University
www.hsutx.edu
PO BOX 16040
Abilene, TX  79698
The mission of Hardin-Simmons University is to be a community dedicated to providing excellence in education enlightened by Christian faith and values.
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended to be reviewed initially by only the individual named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or a representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, notify the above sender, send the message back and then delete it.
Thank you for your assistance. Hardin-Simmons University; 2200 Hickory/HSU Box 16040; Abilene, TX  79698; 325.670.1000