job name to lpr queue

gary garycarroll at charter.net
Wed Dec 6 08:44:04 PST 2006

I am sending a job via cups to a queue on a front end for a xerox, which is
some specialized software running on a Sun. The job I am sending is
already a postscript file, and is being sent lpr via a raw cups queue by
the command
lp -t $strnm -d doc1 /fixedfolder/$strnm.ps
where doc1 is the name of the queue and $strnm resolves to the unique part
of the name of the file. My problem is that the jobs do not show up in the
front end queue with the unique name, but instead show something like
"261-1". The job does show up in CUPs webadmin queue with the correct
name. Jobs

printed from Windows do show the name in the xerox queue.

I tried changing the queue from raw to using the xerox ppd, but this did
not help (and added unneeded job ticket baggage).
The job name shows up on the front-end as soon as the job is received,
before any processing is done, so I don't think it is embedded in the ps
anywhere.

What am I doing wrong?