[cups.general] Java printing with CUPS

Michael Herdman michael.herdman at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 7 00:49:32 PST 2006

Michael Herdman wrote:

>Michael Sweet wrote:
>

>>Michael Herdman wrote:
>>

>>>To answer my own question (Printing from Java apps, posted yesterday): I
>>>found that I can print with the J2SDKv1.4.2_05, but not with any later
>>>version (including the latest release candidate JDK1.6.0.
>>>
>>>After installing the older version of SDK, all my Java apps now print.
>>>Perhaps someone on the easysw staff could explain to us why this should
>>>be, and is there a workaround to enable printing with more recent Java
>>>versions? I'm sure that I am not the only person who will appreciate
>>>your reply!
>>>

>>I'm no Java expert, but more than likely you are experiencing a
>>software bug in Sun's Java implementation.  Have you reported the
>>problem to Sun?
>>

>No, not yet, but I will do so - I was waiting for your comments in case
>this is a well-known problem.

I have now checked the Sun website and found bug reports that are of
interest to CUPS users: see http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/index.jsp

Bug 5109523 states that printing is OK with Sun java 1.4.2 but that the
1.5.0 PrintService does not return any printers (as I found myself). One
workaround is explained by (my quotes) "I found that I could get a list
of printers if I specify (or default to) AuthType None in cupsd.conf,
but when I specify AuthType BasicDigest, I get no printers.  I am
referring here to the AuthType in <Location /> (i.e. the root cups
Location).....However, this problem did not occur using 1.4.2 for some
reason.....It would be nice to be able to specify a username/password
for printer discovery so that I can configure CUPS authentication type
of BasicDigest."

A reply to this was to install Jipsi ("Jipsi is a Java Print Service
specifically geared toward CUPS. It allows specifying username/password
to select an IPP print service)".

My questions on the above:
1. Surely the AuthType None idea is not an ideal solution,
2. I am sure I read somewhere that Jipsi is not required by recent
releases of CUPS - is this correct?

Other comments (see also bug 5087907) suggest a problem of
interpretation of IPv4 and IPv6 format addresses, and this was said to
have been fixed.

At this point, I was left with the option of using the old Sun java
1.4.2 (thus being deprived of changes in more recent versions). My
solution was to switch from Sun to the IBM j2SE v 5.0 (their most recent
version). With this, printer discovery works and there are no problems
printing from any Java apps.

Perhaps you (easysw) should make this clear to other CUPS users of Java
apps: printing from Java seems to be a recurrent problem and most likely
depends on the Java VM installed.

Although I have solved my problem, I would still appreciate your
comments, and replies to the two questions above.

Regards,
Mike