Is this a violation of Copyright/License?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Dec 7 06:43:43 PST 2006

Rick Richardson wrote:
> Is this a violation of Copyright/License?
>
> http://www.qms.com/support/current_printers/mc2530dl_sup.htm#Drivers
>
> *  This filter is modified from CUPS 1.15 sample filter rastertohp.c

Distributing a binary CUPS driver (without source) is, by itself,
not a violation since we changed the licensing of the cupsimage
library to allow for that.

However, if the code is based on our rastertohp.c sources and they
are not providing source code for the derived code, then that *is*
a license and copyright violation with the corresponding penalties.

The COPYING file (GPL) in the RPM would seem to indicate that the
driver is being provided under the GNU GPL, and the i386 RPM does
reference a source RPM, but there is no source RPM on the FTP server.

Since the FTP server *does* provide source code for the other Linux
drivers, I'm assuming that this is just an oversight for now, and
the Konica support person is just not aware of the different
licensing used with the Linux drivers...